I recently switched to a new machine, and for various reasons some of my Vagrant boxes didn't transfer in the migration.
vagrant status resulted in a status of "not created (virtualbox)".
Since Vagrant boxes are supposed to be disposable and reproducible, in most cases this was fine.
But there were a couple that I wanted to transfer as-is. This is how I did it.
- On the first machine, halt the Vagrant box.
- Copy the actual VirtualBox machine files. On the Mac, these are in
- Open the VirtualBox GUI, and choose Machine > Add.
- Navigate to the machine and add it, so that it appears in the VirtualBox GUI.
- Under the Vagrant project directory, copy the files for the Vagrant box in question under
.vagrant/machinesdirectory under the corresponding Vagrant directory on the new machine.
- In the Vagrant directory, double-check the machine's status with
vagrant status. It should be "poweroff" instead of "not created".
- At this point, you should be able to run
vagrant reloadas normal.